Wednesday, September 9, 2009

CHRONIC FATIGUE, FIBROMYALGIA, S.A.D.?

Ok, it's been a while, I know. I have an excuse...sort of. Honestly, this time of year is incredibly hard for me--not because I don't like it. In fact, I love Autumn! But the sad truth is, I suffer from horrendous allergies in the Fall. So much so, that I'm not sure it's not a combination of allergies and SAD, or Seasonal Affective Disorder. I'm telling you this because once again, I do truly struggle to work out at times. Working out is my passion, and so I think this incredibly unfair. I mean, c'mon--one would think that with an extremely clean diet, (no sugar--refined or otherwise, no white flour, etc...) and a very regular challenging workout routine six days a week, I'd be feeling pretty damn good 'ey? Yeah, me too. And generally, I do--I feel incredible. That is, until Fall. Then all hell breaks loose in terms of control over how I feel. And what's worse, is that if I stop my routine I get so sick I can't function! I'm not kidding--it's been going on since I was a kid. The only way to manage it is to continue the strict routine I've established and do my best to function throughout the day.

Now, I've been told that I have Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, systemic Candidiasis, among a few other things--by doctors. So what the hell am I doing?? Well, it's all very interesting and challenging for sure, and I certainly have the option to role over and die--or wallow in it. But for some reason I was born as feisty as they come--well, some might say "stubborn" is a little closer to accurate (like my poor old mother--who's earned that right) regardless of my not so feisty immune system. And for some reason, I've chosen to live my life to the fullest.

But seriously, there are many days that I wonder how in God's name I'm gonna get through it, so I break it down into small "bites" as it were. And some days I simply need to nap, or I'll fall over--driving or something entertaining like that. Today was no exception and yet I managed to get a great workout in. After 40 minutes of cardio, I did my P90X, Back, Biceps and Ab Ripper. Not easy...and ya know what? I feel much better. I do too! I swear it--or I don't think I'd be able to talk myself into it. I still feel crappy compared to the way I'd normally feel, or the way I'd like to feel, but I feel better than I did earlier, and it's sooo worth it to feel better, look good, and get something really important accomplished everyday.

So my point here is not to gain your pity--if that were the case, I'd be all over this thing whining regularly. My point is that I do know how hard it can be to maintain a workout routine--and I know first hand how much better it makes life to simply do it anyway--even when we can't do a great job.

I've chosen not to focus on all those "issues" I've been told are mine. I take great care of my body and my mind, just like the doctors and books tell me to, and I let it go. I choose life today--and in order to do that, I push my body to move, forcing blood and oxygen to pump at it's maximum through my muscles and cells, while feeding them the nutrients to support their hard work. I'm certainly no doctor, and I'd never advise anyone with a serious diagnosis to ignore it. But I thought it your business to know me, to know who this "Vawny" (who's always poppin' off about taking care of yourself) truly is. I am human and I have frailties, just like you--But I don't see myself that way. I see myself as strong, healthy and happy. I'm aware that certain times in life are more challenging than others, and I'm aware that "This too, shall pass." So, rather than live in the problem, I chose to live in the solution--or simply to live.

For help dealing with any of these health issues, or others, contact me at www.teambeachbody.com/vawny, or http://www.art-of-fitness.net/, and start living your life again!

5 comments:

  1. Fibromyalgia is often aggravated due to stress and strain and being sluggish. It might also cause due to lack of exercise. Doing exercise in daily routine, talking walk, can relieve pain. Aqua or water aerobics is the simplest exercise for those ailing from fibromyalgia pain, also specially for over weight people. For more details on it, refer Fibromyalgia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, now here's the problem -- exercise can help fibro, but it aggravates CFS. Exercise, especially aerobic exercise, can cause post-exertional fatigue. It is hard to recognize post-exertional fatigue, because it usually hits 24 hours or more after the activity that caused it. It is the bane of so many people with CFS who really, really, really want to work out, but can't find a way to do it without hurting themselves further.

    Please be careful. It is normal for people with a diagnosis like this to be in denial. If you ignore what is happening in your body, you could easily see a worsening of your condition and actually become bedbound. The best thing to do is to begin pacing immediately (see www.chronic-fatigue.community.com/Pacing), and modify your exercise routines. Splitting them up into smaller sessions is an excellent idea. It is important to never reach target heart rate (I know, the thought is killing you, isn't it?).

    If you find a way to modify and maintain an exercise program that doesn't exacerbate your CFS, then a whole lot of us out here would love to hear how you've done it! Please keep us posted.

    You're also welcome to visit my blog at www.livingthecfslife.blogspot.com.

    Good luck! Shelli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are true in my opinion--thanks for the comments you guys. Fitness is TRULY individual--we must be our own advocates/researchers and decide what works and what doesn't. I've dealt with both situations--sometimes I simply CAN'T workout the way I want to and I've learned to modify, modify, modify...and love myself in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And in revisiting this, @Shelli: I wanted to mention that I agree with not reaching target heart rate. Although every now and again I can get away with it, I usually stay below it and go for a longer time on my elliptical--that usually works for me. Sometimes, however, breaking it up into very short sessions is the only way I can do it.

    Having acknowledged that, weight training tends to be something that works much better for me, and the fact is, if you're building muscle, it has a great effect on your metabolism/energy level. If I'm particularly worn out one day, I simply wait as long as I need to between sets, and push as hard as I feel comfortable with during sets. It works very well for me--most likely because of the frequent recovery intervals, or breaks. I've had periods of doing nothing but weight training because cardio can be too much for me. I don't believe I ever suffered any detrimental effect to my fitness level taking this approach; on the contrary, I often made more progress because I didn't have to lay off and recover for a week a time.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete