Sunday, May 23, 2010

HEADACHES: ARE THEY RUNNING YOUR LIFE?

I just got done reading a blog about headaches and how to fend them off. So here's the thing: I know a lot about headaches--because I have to. They can run my life if I'm not careful, and it seems like fall is a time when many other sufferers are forced to "out" themselves in a desperate attempt to find an answer to this often debilitating problem.

When I read the blog, I was inspired to reply, and then to offer more detail here, on "Fitness With Vawny." What inspired me was the fact that the author of the blog wrote several things in her routine that I KNOW to be headache inducing fiends, and thought I'd better "out" myself about one of my "issues" for your sake.

More than twenty five years ago, I seemed to be suffering a number of mysterious ailments that doctors had no answers for. As a result, I got the typical, "If we don't have an answer then it's simply that you're 'nuts' Vawny. Go see a shrink and figure out what neuroses are making you imagine that you're ill." Nice...typical, at least in my experience with traditional medicine. And people are oh so willing to concur--after all, who wants to hear whining about something there seems to be no answer for? So, after lowering my already battered self esteem a few more notches, I stumbled across something that made me wonder...

I'd always been "into" health and fitness, but had gone through a period of unhealthy living during that time, which included a very unhealthy diet, the frequent consumption of alcohol, and just plain not taking good care of myself. One day upon looking in the mirror and not liking the young woman looking back, I decided to do something about it, which led to some amazing discoveries. I started with the "emotional" issues in my life, but knew that the unhealthy lifestyle played a part in what was happening. In a very round about way, I met someone in a sort of spiritual self help group, who recognized my symptoms due to her own experience with them. She'd been fortunate to find out what was wrong, and from that day on my life completely changed.

Here's what I discovered was going on with me: I was diagnosed with something called "Chronic Candidiasis" which is basically a strange way of saying that due to twenty first century living, I'd basically stripped a great deal of the lining of mucus membrane in my body--in particular in my intestines. This was due to many, many bouts of antibiotics as a child, drinking alcohol a little too regularly as a young adult, taking hormones like birth control pills (which didn't last because I really can't tolerate them either) eating sugar daily, and a few other things. Chronic Candidiasis is basically an overgrowth of yeast in the body--not simply in the "female parts." It can get to the point of infecting your bloodstream if it's bad enough. But the point here is that if you do happen to have this issue, at any level, then things that normally wouldn't pass through the intestinal lining are getting through--a bit like missing the "Teflon coating" that would normally be there. And this can include the "Teflon coating" or mucus membrane in your sinuses folks--uh huh--headaches. But the headaches can come from the simple fact that if stuff is getting into your bloodstream that doesn't belong there--guess what happens? Yep--allergic reaction. Histamine is released just like you walked through a field of pollinating flowers lookin' for action of the "procreation type."

So, all that to say that as bad as it sounds, there are answers, albeit not simple ones, but answers that work. There are supplements you can take that help restore the intestinal lining, (although I've had to continue to watch what I eat, they help quite a bit) and watching your diet makes a world of difference. There are many good books out on the subject, the best one in my opinion being "The Yeast Connection" by Dr. William G. Crook, (the good doctor's name notwithstanding). This man was a pioneer in the research of this disease and has released groundbreaking information. Also, Dr. Truss, another pioneer in this field, released a wonderfully informative book called "The Missing Diagnosis."

Now obviously, not everyone suffers this exact condition, but trust me my friends--just the fact that our foods are loaded with pesticides, preservatives like nitrates, and other cancer causing chemicals, is enough for you to look into the "Food Sensitivity" issue. Because even if you don't suffer from Candidiasis, you may still suffer from the "allergic reaction" to things you eat. There are many books out on "Food Allergies" that offer ways to test yourself to see if you are indeed, reacting severely to what you put in your mouth.

I could go on here, telling you all about the many symptoms you're suffering with seemingly no answers, like mood swings, "belly fat" that won't go away no matter what you do, bloating, rough periods, (if female) chronic fatigue, carb cravings, unexplained rashes, unexplained body aches, frequent urinary tract infections, (yes I did say that...) depression, and of course HEADACHES--chronic, frequent, and severe in many cases...you get the point. Better to get the books on this subject so you can get an in depth look and decide if this is a problem for you.

I've worked with women for many years now, both in the capacity of mental health and physical fitness, and it's alarmingly common for this issue to be at the bottom of many, if not most, of their problems--emotional and physical. If you're reading this, chances are you're suffering from this or something similar, and should heed the call to be your own health advocate. To this day, I find it nearly impossible to find anyone in traditional medicine who knows about this, or is even willing to research it. Yet, I've known many nurses who suffer from this very condition, and who I've helped learn about and manage it.

Here's a short list of foods that are common offenders for people who suffer from food sensitivities and or Candidiasis:

Sugar--in ALL formsDairy products (huge headache inducer)White flourSeeds and nutsYeast and mold containing foods (vinegar, mushrooms, sauer-kraut, cheeses)Prepared sauces such as soy sauceJuices (high sugar and mold content)Food additives, including citric acidFruitI know this is more than a little overwhelming to read, but not everyone has the exact same sensitivities, or even the same level of infection, so take heart. It's worth looking into if you're at a loss about where to turn with your undiagnosable illnesses. And don't forget to look into the many books on "Food Allergies" just in case Candida isn't the issue, but you're still suffering with phantom type illnesses, unresolvable headaches, in particular.For help with this and other health related issues around fitness, contact me at Beachbody Fitness, or The Art of Fitness--NOW--and start living again!

No comments:

Post a Comment